Lately, I have become obsessed with the “missing years” of my grandmother’s childhood. After her mother died in 1913, I have tried to find keys to her past, especially the years 1913–1928. With this in mind, I have decided to create a timeline of her childhood to help me keep track of my favorite grandmother.
- As I continue to find information, I will update this blog.
Birth: 10 July
Place: Independence, Montgomery, Kansas
Parents: William Franklin Bryant and Anna Strassburg Bryant
Doctor: Mamie J. Tanquary
- Note: I have recently discovered the family spelled Strasburg with one “s” instead of two. (June 2017)
Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911
- A family picture from my grandmother’s collection ~ no name, no date. Could this be a picture of my grandmother? Taken in Montrose, Colorado
Doctor who delivered my grandmother:
Mamie J. Tanquary
Residence: Lower Gunnison Valley, Gunnison, Colorado, Precinct 5
Family: Anna Bryant and William and Mary Strassburg
- Note: Annie Strasburg was listed as divorced.
Birth of half brother: Clifford Bryant
Date: 13 Feb 1912
Place: Fresno Count, California
Parents: William Franklin and Lena Bryant
20 Sept 1984
June 25, 1912
Elva Bryant – Savings Account ~ She was almost four years old.
THE FIRST NATIONAL BANK OPENS SAVINGS DEPT. – Mntrose, Colorado
Death of Mother: Anna Strassburg Bryant
Date: 12 Aug 1913
Place: Ohio City, Gunnison, Colorado
Burial: Cedar Cemetery, Montrose, Colorado
FUNERAL OF MRS. BRYANT
Montrose Daily Press, Volume VI, Number 34, August 14, 1913
Court Takes Her in Charge
Mrs. Belle Freeman
Mrs. Belle Freeman became the caregiver for my grandmother. She was originally from Iowa. In the 1910 US Federal Census, she was listed as 57 years old and widowed. She owned her own home on 747 North 5th Street in Montrose, Colorado. She has someone living with her at that time. Fred Rambaugh was listed as her grandson, but his age was 34 years old. He was also listed as a widow, and for his occupation, he was listed as a teamster.
It also appears that Mrs. Freeman and her “grandson” raised some eyebrows, for in on August 12, 1915, a Charles Carr reported a retraction about statements made against the two.
Montrose Daily Press, Volume VIII, Number 33, August 12, 1915
According to the 1920 US Federal Census, Mrs. Freeman was still taking care of my grandmother. At this time, my grandmother was 11 years-old. Mrs. Freeman was still residing in her home, and at that time she listed her occupation as a caterer. She also had two grand daughters living with her, Wilma (14) and Inez (12) Reed.
The information provided about my grandmother was wrong, but no one had any correct information about her at that time. She was listed as 11 years old, and her birth date was recorded as about 1909. Her birth place and the birth place of her mother was listed as Oklahoma although they were both born in Kansas. Her father’s birthplace was listed as unknown.
She was also attending school, and she could read and write. She was listed as a boarderin relationship to head of the household.
Mrs. Freeman dies in 1927 and was buried at the Grandview Cemetery in Montrose, Colorado.
Montrose Daily Press, Volume VI, Number 162, January 12, 1914
Montrose Daily Press, Volume VI, Number 242, April 15, 1914
Montrose Daily Press, Volume VI, Number 11, July 17, 1914
My grandmother would be six years old at his time. Wonder if she were on this trip that visited the Kelly Ranch.
Aug 14, 1914
Montrose Daily Press, Volume VII, Number 66, September 19, 1914
Montrose Daily Press, Volume IX, Number 114, November 15, 1916
1920 US Federal Census
11 years old.
Living with Belle Freeman
8th grade Graduation ~ year about 1921 or 22?
Note: Could this be my grandmother’s eighth-grade graduation photo?
Marriage ~ 16 Feb 1928
Barbara Allen ~ 20 Feb 1928
1930 – US Federal Census; Peach Valley and Read Road, Delta, Colorado; Living w/Tom Allen, Barbara, and Edgar Fetinger, a hired hand; ranching-sheep
Dorothy Marie Allen ~ 3 Jan 1934
1940-US Federal Census; Lazear and Roger’s Mesa; Hotchkiss, Colorado;Living w/Tom Allen, and Dorothy; ranching-sheep
Grandma’s Homestead was located in Delta County, Colorado, and I believe it was located on Peach Valley Road.
Janice Faye Allen ~ Sep 1949
1950-Lazear and Roger’s Mesa, Hotchkiss, Colorado;Living w/Tom Allen, Dorothy, and Janice; ranching-sheep
1983-Death-Alameda, California ~ 20 Feb 1983
Riverside Cemetery, Hotchkiss, Colorado
- 1910 Census | 1910 US Federal Census Records | Ancestry.com, Online Publication – Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006.Original Data – Thirteenth Census of the United States, 1910 (NARA Microfilm Publication T624, 1,178 Rolls). Records of the Bureau of the Census, Record Group 29. National Archives, Was, search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=7884.
- 1930 US Federal Census Records | Ancestry, Online Publication – Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2002.Original Data – United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Fifteenth Census of the United States, 1930. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1930. T626, search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=6224.
- 1940 Census Records, Ancestry.com Operations, Inc. Provo, UT, USA, 2012, http://www.ancestry.com/1940-census.
- “A Big Trip.” Montrose Daily Press August 14, 1914 — Colorado Historic Newspapers Collection.
- “California Birth Index, 1905-1995.” California Birth Index, 1905-1995, Online Publication – Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2005.Original Data – State of California. California Birth Index, 1905-1995. Sacramento, CA, USA: State of California Department of Health Services, Center for Health Statistics.Original Dat, search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=5247.
- California, Death Index, 1940-1997, Online Publication – Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2000.Original Data – State of California. California Death Index, 1940-1997. Sacramento, CA, USA: State of California Department of Health Services, Center for Health Statistics.Original Dat, search.ancestry.com/search/DB.aspx?dbid=5180.
- “Colorado, County Marriages and State Indexes, 1862-2006, Ancestry.com Operations, Inc. Lehi, UT, USA, 2016, search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=61366.
- “Court Takes Her in Charge.” Montrose Daily Press August 14, 1913 — Colorado Historic Newspapers Collection
- “Dr Mamie J. Edwards Tanquary (1870 – 1927) – Find A Grave Memorial.” Dr Mamie J. Edwards Tanquary (1870 – 1927) – Find A Grave Memorial, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=1234710.
- “THE FIRST NATIONAL BANK OPENS SAVINGS DEPT.” Montrose Daily Press June 25, 1912 — Colorado Historic Newspapers Collection.
- “FUNERAL OF MRS. BRYANT.” Montrose Daily Press August 13, 1913 — Colorado Historic Newspapers Collection,
- Haywood, Charles E. “The Weekly Examiner. (Bartlesville, Indian Terr.), Vol. 12, No. 33, Ed. 1 Saturday, October 20, 1906.” The Gateway to Oklahoma History, Examiner Publishing Company, 1 June 2013, gateway.okhistory.org/ark:/67531/metadc162515/m1/8/.
- “Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911.” Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911, Online Publication – Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.Original Data – “Kansas Births and Christenings, 1818–1936.” Index. FamilySearch, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2009, 2010. Index Entries Derived from Digital Copies of Original and Compiled , search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=2567.
- “Kansas Online Genealogy Records.” Kansas Online Genealogy Records Genealogy – FamilySearch Wiki, familysearch.org/wiki/en/Kansas_Online_Genealogy_Records.
- Newspapers.com – The Coffeyville Daily Journal – 15 Jul 1911, Sat – Page 8, The Coffeyville Daily Journal, Coffeyville, Kansas, http://www.newspapers.com.
- Newspapers.com – The Coffeyville Daily Journal – 27 Jul 1911, Thu – Page 5, The Coffeyville Daily Journal, 27 Jul 1911, Thu, Coffeyville, Kansas, http://www.newspapers.com.
- “ Newspapers.com – The Evening Star – 13 Jul 1911, Thu – Page 1.” Newspapers.com – The Evening Star – 13 Jul 1911, Thu – Page 1, The Evening Star, Independence, Kansas, http://www.newspapers.com.
- Newspapers.com – Independence Daily Reporter – 13 Jul 1911, Thu – Page 1, Independence Daily Reporter, Independence, Kansas, http://www.newspapers.com.
- U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current – Ancestry.com, Ancestry.com Operations, Inc. Provo, UT, USA, 2012, search.ancestry.com/collections/60525/ records/100125266.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007, Ancestry.com Operations, Inc. Provo, UT, USA, 2015, http://www.ancestry.com.
- “U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014.” Social Security Death Index | SSDI Search at Ancestry.com, Online Publication – Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010.Original Data – Social Security Administration. Social Security Death Index, Master File. Social Security Administration.Original Data: Social Security Administration. Social Security D, search.ancestry.com.